Home » Parents & Carers

Welcome to the PSCB parent and carer pages. Here you will find key information about some of the safeguarding challenges facing children, young people and their parents today, along with links to support, advice and guidance on keeping them safe.

Substance Misuse Harm Reduction

The only way to stay completely safe is not to use substances.

Without testing you cannot tell what is in substances including new psychoactive substances

However if you choose to use something then some general tips to minimise risk would be:

  • Drink half to 1 pint of water an hour – no more
  • Take a break to avoid overheating
  • If someone’s temperature starts to rise, seek help immediately
  • On a come down, drink sports drinks to replace lost salts and minerals
  • Avoid mixing with other substances, particularly alcohol as risk of overdose is higher
  • Take a small dose, give it time to take effect and do not re-dose too quickly – strengths in substances can vary and be much stronger than you may have used previously
  • Try to be in a safe environment with someone who isn’t using
  • Glues and gases – sometimes called volatile substances – can cause instant death
  • Keep your drink with you – they are easily spiked
  • Glues and gases – sometimes called volatile substances – can cause instant death
  • Do not share snorting equipment
  • Rinse nostrils with water after snorting any substance
  • If using try and be in a  safe environment with someone who isn’t using
  • Remember if using something like LSD/Mushrooms, once a trip starts you can’t stop it
  • Some pills sold as ecstasy may contain PMA/PMMA/Pentylone which are is highly toxic, much more so than MDMA, and will increase risk of higher body temperature and fits. You will not be able to tell if substances contain this without getting them tested. It would be best to dispose of these rather than take them

If you or someone you know becomes unwell as a result of something they have taken, you should seek medical advice as soon as possible.

The first priority of the emergency services will be to make sure you and your friends are safe.

If you have concerns or would like to seek support for substance use please contact Gail Lennan at Portsmouth City Council’s drug and substance misuse service on 023 9268 8450.

Alternatively, you can contact FRANK for advice:

Getting help early

Children of any age can experience problems at times, and parents or carers can’t always meet their needs by themselves. When children do require some extra support it’s always best to put help in place before things worse.

Throughout your child’s life there are people around you can go to get advice, guidance and support, for example:

  • Midwives
  • Health Visitors, GPs
  • Children’s Centres, nurseries
  • Schools
  • Other workers you might be in contact with such as Youth Workers, PSCOs or Housing Officers
  • Safe 4 Me includes information and resources from Hampshire Constabulary to raise awareness of law and consequences to promote safe and healthy choices

Go to the Family Information Service website for more information.  There is also help for families and young people in Portsmouth from the Early Help and Prevention Team.  Click here for more information.

If you are worried about the safety of a child go to the  worried about a child page

If you are a parent of a child with a special educational need or disability you may find more information here

There are some national organisations that offer support for parents around specific safeguarding issues. You will find links to these in the relevant pages.

The local offer website

The local offer website is a collaboration between parents and carers of disabled children, young people and Portsmouth City Council to help you find what is available in the area for those with Special Education Needs or Disabilities (ages 0-25) and how to access a variety of services.  These range from health, social care and education to respite, leisure facilities, support groups and the voluntary sector.

Private Fostering

Private fostering involves an arrangement made without the involvement of the local authority between the carer and the child’s parent/s or person with parental responsibility, regardless of whether money is exchanged and that arrangement is intended to last 28 days or more (the child is not a Looked After Child).  Please click here for more information.

Healthy Infant Feeding

Solent NHS has produced a Healthy Infant Feeding Booklet that has been written for you following discussions with local parents. It contains information they said would help support them with their decisions about feeding their babies.  Parenting is tough with lots of outside influences, pressures and advice and it can be hard to have the confidence that what you are doing is best for your baby. Whether you choose to breast, bottle or mixed feed, becoming overweight is your baby’s biggest health risk although, importantly, breastfeeding can help prevent later weight problems and is definitely healthiest. All parents want their baby to grow up healthy and happy. We hope reading this booklet, even before your baby is born, will provide more tips and facts about feeding so that you can give your baby the best start in life.

How to make a complaint about Children & Families Social Care

You have the right to complain about anything that makes you unhappy, upset or angry. It’s ok to complain you, won’t get into any trouble.

That might be:

  • feeling that your race, culture, religion or sexuality is not being respected
  • being moved from where you live without anyone talking to you about it
  • being bullied
  • feeling uncared for
  • being touched in a way that feels wrong
  • having no say in important decisions about your life, or your child’s
  • our staff’s attitude or behaviour
  • anything to do with the way social care looks after you or your child

Follow the link here for more information.